Starting university is an exhilarating and transformative journey, and if you’re one of the lucky students about to embark on this adventure in Leeds, you’re in for a treat! Leeds, located in West Yorkshire, England, is a city with a rich cultural heritage, a buzzing nightlife, and a thriving student community. As you gear up for your first year, here’s a comprehensive guide to help you make the most of your time in Leeds.
1. City Centre: Begin your Leeds adventure in the heart of the city. Take a stroll around the bustling city centre, home to numerous shops, cafes, and restaurants. Explore Briggate, the main shopping street, and visit the historic Corn Exchange for unique boutiques and independent stores.
2. Kirkstall Abbey: Discover the city’s history at Kirkstall Abbey, a stunning medieval Cistercian abbey set amidst beautiful parkland. It’s a perfect spot for a picnic or a leisurely walk.
3. Leeds Art Gallery: For art enthusiasts, the Leeds Art Gallery is a must-visit. It houses an impressive collection of British and European art, including works by Turner and Bacon, and admission is free!
4. Join Societies and Clubs: Leeds universities offer a wide range of societies and clubs catering to various interests, from sports and music to academic and cultural pursuits. It’s a fantastic way to meet like-minded people and make lasting friendships.
5. Student Union Events: Keep an eye out for events organized by your university’s Student Union. Freshers’ Week is packed with parties, fairs, and social gatherings, setting the tone for your student life.
6. Varsity Sports: Leeds universities have a fierce sporting rivalry, particularly in the annual Varsity competition against the University of Sheffield. Get involved, whether you’re a player or a spectator!
7. Leeds Kirkgate Market: Leeds Kirkgate Market is a food lover’s paradise. Try international cuisines, sample local delicacies, and shop for fresh produce. It’s also a great place to pick up some budget-friendly meals.
8. Trinity Kitchen: Located inside Trinity Leeds shopping centre, Trinity Kitchen offers a rotating selection of street food vendors. It’s perfect for trying a variety of delicious dishes.
9. Indie Coffee Shops: Leeds is renowned for its independent coffee shops. Spend your study breaks or weekends exploring these cozy spots. Places like Laynes Espresso and Mrs Atha’s are student favourites.
10. Call Lane: Leeds has a vibrant nightlife, and Call Lane is at its epicenter. Packed with bars and clubs, it’s the go-to destination for a night out. Make sure to check out iconic venues like The Belgrave Music Hall and Oporto.
11. Hyde Park Pub Crawl: Hyde Park, the student hub, boasts numerous pubs and bars. Join a pub crawl with your fellow freshers to experience the local nightlife scene.
12. Live Music: Leeds is a hotspot for live music. Head to the Brudenell Social Club or The Wardrobe for intimate gigs or visit the First Direct Arena for larger concerts.
13. Roundhay Park: Escape the city’s hustle and bustle at Roundhay Park. It’s one of the largest urban parks in Europe, offering beautiful lakes, gardens, and ample space for picnics or a game of frisbee.
14. Canal Walks: Leeds has an extensive canal network. Take a leisurely walk or bike ride along the Leeds-Liverpool Canal to appreciate the city’s natural beauty.
15. Yorkshire Dales: If you have a bit more time, venture into the breath-taking Yorkshire Dales National Park, just a short drive from Leeds. It’s a fantastic destination for hiking and exploring the English countryside.
Leeds is a city that caters to all tastes and interests, making it the perfect backdrop for your university experience. Whether you’re an art aficionado, a foodie, a sports enthusiast, or a music lover, Leeds has something for everyone. So, make the most of your time in this dynamic city, and get ready for a fantastic journey through your university years!
We want you to have the best possible experience in your new home and also in your new community. Join in, share your experiences and follow us